Do you want to eat something special on Sunday? Or Are you looking for a unique and tasty recipe for a weeknight? If yes, we are here to tell you about a delicious and mouth-watering recipe at home. Yes, we are talking about an American Meatloaf Recipe at home. Meatloaf is considered the classic and quintessential American dinner.
Of course, different people know about other meatloaf recipes, but it’s all about the right proportion of additions and toppings with the tasty glaze.
In addition, you don’t need any special ingredients because it can be made with available or straightforward ingredients in your kitchen.
However, there is no need to chop ingredients, pre-cook them, combine everything in a bowl, and do loaf shaping and cooking.
So, in this blog, we will provide the best meatloaf recipe at home and tell you about the perfect temperature, ingredients, and tips to cook the meatloaf recipe.
Best American Meatloaf Recipe
Firstly we will discuss the ingredients and instructions. After that, we will talk about what temp and how long to cook meatloaf.
- 2 lbs ground beef(85% or 90% lean)
- 1 medium-size finely chopped onion
- Two large size eggs
- Three minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 3/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of milk
- One and a half tablespoons of salt(according to taste)
- One and a half tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tablespoon of ground black pepper
- Half a tablespoon of ground paprika
Ingredients for meatloaf sauce
- 3/4 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 tablespoon of ground black pepper
- One and a half tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1/4 tablespoon of salt
- Two and a half tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Before cooking your meatloaf, preheat the oven to 350° F or 175° C.
- Take a large bowl and mix the egg, onion, milk, beef, and bread. Also, add pepper and salt according to taste.
- Now take a 9×5-inch loaf pan and place the mixture into it, or you can place it in a 9×13-inch lightly greased baking dish.
- Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard in a small bowl. So, before pouring it onto the meatloaf, mix it well.
- Lastly, bake your meatloaf for 1 hour at 350°F. Then serve and enjoy.
If we talk about nutrition facts, it contains the below proportion per serving.
- Protein 18.2g
- 372 calories
- sodium 334.6mg
- carbohydrates 18.5g
- cholesterol 98mg
- fat 24.7g
What Temp And How Long To Cook Meatloaf?
When using a conventional oven, you have to cook the loaf at 350° F. Apart from this, the meatloaf’s cooking time depends on the size of the meatloaf. You need to bake the loaf at this temperature for 35 to 45 minutes per pound. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 155° before it is put out from the oven.
When is Meatloaf Done?
These are the basic questions that come to our minds when we try a meatloaf recipe at home. We start to think about what to do to check the doneness of the meatloaf. If you want to detect whether the meatloaf is done or not, try out the below ideas.
An Instant-Read Thermometer
You can use this straightforward method of how to tell if meatloaf is done. When the internal temperature goes 155 degrees F, you can remove your dish from the oven and consider it cooked.
If you don’t have an instant-read thermometer or you do not want to use it, you can go for a fork. Yes, you can use a fork by inserting it into the meatloaf’s thickest part and making sure it reaches the center. If it reaches the center, your cooking is done.
Yes, you read it right. Don’t worry; we are not telling you to insert your finger inside the meatloaf with bare hands.
We know it can hurt you and can be dangerous. You just need to touch the outer part of the meatloaf, if it is tense, it is done and you can take it out.
But if it is still considerably pappy, there is a need to cook it more. Make sure your hands are clean before and after touching the meatloaf.
Metal Cake Tester
Apart from the above tools, you can go for the help of a metal cake tester, which is made explicitly for sweet dishes and desserts. It works similarly to an instant-read thermometer.
If it sinks inside the meatloaf it means your cooking is done and ready to remove from the oven. You also need to check the internal temperature of the meatloaf before taking it out. The internal temperature of the meatloaf should be 155°F.
Follow the instructions properly
If you have followed the instructions for meatloaf correctly, you do not need to worry about how to tell if the meatloaf is done.
Internal Temperature of Cooked Meatloaf
As we mentioned earlier that the internal temperature of the oven when you are cooking meatloaf should be 155°F. At this temperature, you can remove your meatloaf from the oven and rest it for a few minutes before serving it.
Use some safety tips when you are cooking meatloaf.
- Wash hands before cooking and after touching the meat.
- Distinct other foods from raw meat.
- Clean the cutting boards, dishes, and utensils after touching raw meat.
- Wash all vegetables before using them.
- Refrigerate the food instantly.
To sum it up, trying the meatloaf recipe on Sunday at home is really the best idea to eat something different. You do not need to work hard or unique ingredients for this recipe.
In fact, you can cook it quickly with the handy ingredients in your kitchen. I have given you the ingredient list and instructions and steps to cook this delicious dish in this blog.
I also mentioned some frequently asked questions and safety tips for your recipe. I hope you liked this blog and found it useful for you when you are looking for the best meatloaf recipe at home.
Traditional American meatloaf is a classic comfort food made with ground meat, typically beef or a mixture of beef and pork, mixed with other ingredients like breadcrumbs, eggs, and seasonings. The mixture is shaped into a loaf and baked until fully cooked.
Ground beef is the most common meat used in traditional American meatloaf. Some recipes may also include a mixture of ground beef and ground pork for added flavor and moisture.
The key ingredients usually include ground meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and various seasonings. Ketchup or a tomato-based sauce is often used as a topping.